History of Del Rio
Family Business Founded on Tradition & Excellence
The family business, known as Del Rio, was originated by the indomitable spirit of the Rouse Family matriarch, Annie (Daniels) Rouse, born in 1881, also known to her family as Aunt Annie. After relocating to California in the early 1900’s Annie was to become a nurse caring for the aged and infirm in a large old home in Los Angeles that she was to name Magnolia Gardens. It soon became apparent that a larger location was required to care for the growing number of her patients. In 1934 Annie was to purchase a large country estate next door to the home of the then governor of California, Governor Gage, for whom Gage Avenue was named. Their patients were cared for in a home-like atmosphere where the ambulatory could stroll among five beautiful grassy acres of trees and flowered pagodas,
next to the Rio Hondo River, while the non-ambulatory resided in the home with a large brick fireplace in the living room. She called her place Del Rio Gardens. As the number of residents grew, so too did the nursing staff and, in the early 1940’s her son, Milton Rouse, Sr. assumed administrative duties. It was then licensed for eighty-four residents.In 1942, Joy Marie Dunken, from Waco, Texas, was hired as secretary, marrying Milton in 1944 and together they operated Del Rio until Milton’s death in 1971. Joy continued to operate Del Rio until hiring Glenn Thune as administrator and eventually marrying him. Since the turn-of-the century building was aging. Glenn and Joy decided to build a new ninety-nine bed unit called Del Rio Convalescent Center while maintaining the older facility for several years until finally, in 1974, the old home was razed and a new eighty-four bed facility was built in its place called Del Rio Gardens Care Center. The two centers have since operated as separate skilled nursing facilities, remaining as the family business.